Fortunately, I’m employed at a company that allows me to work at home. This setup has allowed me to be more fully engaged in my quest for self-sufficiency in relation to nutrition and the matrix in general. I’m able to follow a rigid routine that has wrought many benefits.
Upon awakening in the morning, I’ll pour purified water mixed with eyebright drops into my eyes in order to clear my dry eyes. 25 years of contact lens use has incurred a dry eye problem. Eyebright is an herb with many benefits for the eyes.
Then, I’ll hang upside down on an inversion table for about 5 to 10 minutes. Years of bench pressing have caused rotator cuff problems. Inversion tables have provided me with many benefits including shoulder pain relief.
Next, I’ll use a saline rinse to clear dryness in my sinus cavities. I developed allergies following college. It was strange because I didn’t have these symptoms while growing up. I suspect mold on a shower curtain ignored by my roommates and myself created these chronic allergies. For many years following college, I received allergy shots. A test revealed I was allergic to 32 out of 32 different items such as cat hair, leaves, dairy, etc. These shots did bring relief but I grew lazy and begin skipping treatments.
Then, I changed my dietary habits in 2006. I eliminated certain foods like dairy and soda. For the first time in my life, I committed to drinking only water and eating healthy meals. Suddenly, I could sit in a room with dogs and cats without sneezing and wheezing. Moreover, I had been afflicted with chronic colds from September through April. People would derisively comment that I was “always sick.” One co-worker would even hold his shirt over his nose in mock fear of catching germs from me.
All of these symptoms dissipated upon adopting healthy dietary habits. However, there is a lingering sinus issue; hence the application of a saline sinus rinse.
Warm Lemon Juice and Apple Cider Vinegar
The above activities take about 10 to 15 minutes. Intermittently, I’ll do some pushups and a minute or so trek on my Rebounder.
Then, I’ll warm reverse osmosis water on the stove burner, squeeze a lemon into a glass and add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. This mixture is designed to activate the digestive system. My primary motivate is to aid my digestion system; however warm lemon juice water with apple cider vinegar can aid in weight and body cleansing.
Healthy Morning Smoothies
Now, we’ve reached the main course of my morning ritual; namely, healthy morning smoothies. Shortly, after committing to healthier dietary habits I discovered the concept of a superfood breakfast smoothie. I bought an organic green superfood powder called Enerfood.
What is a green superfood powder? I’ve covered this topic in different posts; however, essentially it is a collection of superfoods processed into a powder in a manner that maintains the integrity of the foods’ nutrients and enzymes.
These powders form the base of my superfood breakfast smoothie.
There are many options on the market if you’re interested in purchasing a green superfood powder. Among my favorites are Enerfood, Vitaminaral Green, and Green Vibrance; however I’ve used many different brands since 2006.
Here is an article citing the 10 best green superfood powders. In reality, each would be an excellent choice no matter your needs or motivations.
You can add many superfoods for smoothies. The focus of this article will be to cite many of these superfoods.
1. Beets – Beets have become one of the items I always add to my superfood breakfast smoothie. Beets have a number of health benefits. First, they have a high concentration of vitamins and minerals including potassium, sodium, iron, folate, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, vitamin C, and B vitamins such as thiamin, niacin, and riboflavin. Lack of proper nutrition can lead to the onslaught of different diseases and illnesses. Other research as demonstrated beets can improve athletic performance as beet juice can increase oxygen intake by 16 percent. Another key benefit is that beets have anti-cancer properties.
When I adopted a healthier lifestyle I began making an effort to include foods with anti-cancer benefits as a means of a pre-emptive strike much like so-called pre-emptive missile strikes into harmless villages. I am very near-sighted. My contact prescription is something like -7.5 or 8. I really don’t want to know the exact figure. Anyway, beets help prevent macular degeneration and cataracts. The presence of beta-carotene provides this benefit. Beets have a myriad of other benefits but I wanted to mention the most important to me.
The subject of beets could probably cover a few separate articles. One other thing of note is that beet greens provide are edible and very beneficial; however, they should only be eaten a couple of times per week because of acidic effects, which could damage teeth enamel. View this article.
2. Carrots– Again, carrots have become a constant ingredient in my superfood breakfast smoothie. Obviously, beta-carotene provides benefits to eye health. Moreover, carrots are food containing anti-cancer properties. The risk of Lung Cancer, Leukemia, and Lung Cancer are lessened with a steady diet of carrots. My family has had a history of heart disease and heart attacks so carrots provide further appeal to me. The fiber and potassium in carrots have positive effects on blood pressure and cardiovascular health. There has been studies showing certain foods are harmful or beneficial to people with certain blood types. I have Blood Type A. Carrots are considered as food as medicine for people with Type A. Check here
3. Kale – For Blood Type, A Kale is considered food as medicine. Kale is considered one of the most nutrient-dense food, including a source of Vitamin K, which is needed for blood clotting. Moreover, Kale shares many of the same benefits as Carrots and Beets. Purchasing a loose beet, a couple of loose carrots and a head of Kale is relatively inexpensive even at Wholefood.so these three vegetables after considering their benefits and my personal needs wind up being my primary ingredients in a superfood breakfast smoothie.
4. Spinach– Spinach is categorized as food as medicine for Blood Type A. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C and folate as well as being a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. Spinach has many of the same benefits as beets, carrots, and kale. I like the taste of spinach so typically I’ll include it with my main meal later in the day; however often I’ll include a handful in the superfood powder smoothie.
5. Cilantro – Cilantro can help eliminate heavy metals from the body by binding them together and then loosening the metals from the tissue. I’ve had anxiety issues since my early childhood. So, Cilantro appeals to me because it possesses properties that aid in calming nerves and promoting quality sleep. Moreover, the herb is food that promotes heart health.
6. Garlic – Garlic could be an item of discussion for several articles. Occasionally I add two cloves to a superfood breakfast smoothie containing approximately 128 ounces. This batch typically lasts for a few days after blending it with a Vitamix. If you add too many cloves the garlic taste can become too severe. Garlic has benefits for the heart, infections and many other effects. In many ways, Garlic is the ultimate food as medicine vegetable.
.1. Apples – I’ve read that apple seeds possess Vitamin B17. Studies have shown B17 possesses properties that can help prevent cancer. Whenever I eat an apple I’ll eat the entire core and seeds. Typically, I’ll add an apple to the Vitamix when I blend a superfood breakfast smoothie. Moreover, apples possess prebiotics that benefits good gut bacteria. I’ve read that diseases begin the guy so I’m always attempting to promulgate the health of the good bacteria in my stomach.
2. Bananas – I’ll include two or maybe three bananas when I blend the morning green drink batch. Bananas have relieved me of acid indigestion so besides their use in smoothies I typically have them available in the kitchen.
Another benefit is the potassium content. The potassium mineral assists in regulating the heartbeat and blood pressure. I was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. So, I’m always seeking to consume sources of potassium.
3. Strawberries – I’ll include berries like strawberries to improve the taste of the superfood breakfast smoothie. Also, they’re high in fiber and antioxidants and an abundant source of Vitamin C. Frankly, it’s probably the presence of berries that enables me to easily chug a morning green drink.
4. Blueberries – Similar to all the other mentioned superfoods for smoothies. Blueberries are considered food as medicine for Blood Type A. Like strawberries, I’ll include them in the Vitamix smoothie for the taste; however, a smoothie consisting solely of blueberries, strawberries and a superfood green powder would provide ample nutrition and anti-oxidants.
5. Kiwi – Very similar benefits to the other fruits; however Kiwi is noted for being beneficial to the skin. I’ve gotten out of this habit but in the past, I’ve used Kiwi as a healthy alternative to an afternoon snack.
6. Lime – If you’re interested in adding citrus to healthy morning smoothies then lime is a good option besides the nutritional and immune system benefits limes have been known to reduce the risk of kidney stones. The lime skin is edible and possesses health benefits so you can include all of it in the Vitamix.
Seeds and Oils
1. Flaxseed – Flaxseeds are an item that used to be included in my healthy morning smoothies. Frankly, I forgot about them. However, I should remember to use them. Flaxseeds are a source of Lignan, which is a plant compound containing anti-cancer benefits. Studies have shown lignin reduces the risk of prostate cancer and breast cancer, so there’s a strong benefit for both men and women.
Flaxseeds are a source of Omega 3’s, which helps reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes. Now, that I’m reviewing flaxseeds I remember why I used them in the first place. I think I’ll buy some for my next superfood breakfast smoothie batch.
2. Chia Seeds – Like Flaxseeds, Chia are loaded with nutrients and Omega’s; hence acting as food as medicine in terms of reducing cancer risk and heart ailments. Chia seeds are loaded with fiber and high in nutrition with low calories. Again, they’ve kind of slipped from my awareness. I’ll have to revisit them.
Also, if you put chia seeds in water it forms into a gel. In this form, chia seeds have additional health benefits. A friend of mine used to drink chia water every morning and rave about the positive effects.
3. Hemp Oil – Hemp comes from a plant in the same family as cannabis and possesses similar benefits. I use Hemp Oil for stress and anxiety. I’ll take a few drops a couple of hours before sleep. However, hemp oil is a great choice for an ingredient in healthy morning smoothies.
People have reported positive results when using hemp for skin treatment including conditions such as eczema, acne, psoriasis, and varicose veins.
1. Tumeric – I’ll include a couple of dashes of Tumeric, primarily for its anti-inflammatory benefits. Often, I’ve read or heard that inflammation is a cause of disease. The immune system is weakened because it sends resources to battle the inflammation, thus causing the body to spend unnecessary energy.
Also, Tumeric contains Curcumin, which boosts brain function and lowers the risk of brain-related diseases. In many ways, Tumeric represents food as medicine.
2. Fiber Powder – Occasionally, I’ll purchase a Fiber powder and then add some teaspoons to my healthy morning smoothies. Primarily, I’ll use a Fiber powder to support regular bowel movements. Also, Fiber is important to heart health; again which is an important consideration of mine.
3. Collagen Powder – Recently, I’ve begun including collagen powder in my healthy morning smoothies. Collagen benefits the joints, skin, hair, blood sugar levels and even gut health. Some people have complimented me on the appearance of my skin and stated that I look younger. The only real change I’ve made has been the collagen powder, so perhaps it is positively affecting my skin.
I wrote a review of a collage product here.
4. Hemp Powder – At some point, I’d like to write some articles on hemp powder. Over the years, I’ve included a few teaspoons in my superfood breakfast smoothie.
Hemp has many benefits including colon health with its high fiber content, heart health, and it serves as a curb to hunger. Also, hemp has an alkalinizing effect, so if you’re struggling with acid reflux and/or a low PH level then hemp protein powder could be a wise option for your healthy morning smoothies.
The Hemp Plant
I’d like to make an important distinction between hemp and marijuana. Hemp contains negligible amounts of THC, which is the chemical in marijuana that causes a person to become intoxicated.
The 2018 Farm Bill defines hemp as “the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of that plant, including the seeds thereof and all derivatives, extracts, cannabinoids, isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers, whether growing or not, with a delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol concentration of not more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis.”
The Cannabis family contains numerous varieties, yet it is most famously known for psychoactive cannabis (marijuana or “weed”). Hence, people confuse the term hemp with marijuana. Hemp actually refers to the industrial variant which is cultivated for its fiber, hurd, and seeds, as well as the other natural healing compounds found in its leaves.
And again there are many different strands of the cannabis family. Marijuana is a different variety of the same species.
Top superfoods for smoothies
I’ve included 19 different superfoods. Frankly, I could write another list of 19. However, these are foods that I’ve used frequently over the years. You can’t go wrong using any of them in a superfood breakfast smoothie.
If you’re serious about making smoothies then I’d strongly suggest buying a Vitamix. They are expensive but it’s a wise investment. I purchased my Vitamix for about $550 but I’ve had it for over 10 tears. The blade is guaranteed for life and honestly, it continues to operate like brand new. The purchase seemed crazy at the time; however, a Vitamix has proven to be a wise investment (especially since I was unemployed at the time). Previously, I had purchased several cheaper blenders ranging from $49 to $100; however, all of them stopped functioning after a few months.
Also, a Vitamix can blend whole apples, beets, etc without any chunky sensation. None of these cheaper blenders are able to do this.
I highly recommend getting into the habit of making a healthy morning smoothie your standard breakfast. When I was eating unhealthy, I was in my early 30’s and people thought I was 42 years old. Now, I’m 46 and people think I’m ten years younger. Moreover, it’s the simplest and most efficient means of attaining your body’s daily nutritional needs. Recently, I wrote an article on the importance of nutrition. These 19 superfoods will meet the daily requirement of Vitamins and Minerals noted in that article.
Let me know in the comments if you’re interested in learning more about any of these superfoods. In the future, I intend to write more articles concerning them. If you have any other superfoods or even recipes comment below.